9/07/2007

Damn Right I Got the Blues!

Recently in Chicago for an interview - Deb and I got together to spend some time on the town. For years we've met up annually in the windy city to stay on Mag Mile where we'd shop to our heart's content, and spend evenings dancing or hitting the lounges on Rush/Dearborn.

Instead, this year we spent days riding the L to the lake, Chinatown, and to one of the greatest hot dog places I've been in a while (AJ's). Evenings, given that Debbie is still in a walking boot from her unfortunate sledding event in February, were spent modestly and relatively quietly.

One night I managed to convince her that she could have just as much fun on the town in a walking boot as she normally does in heels - we got dressed and headed to Buddy Guy's Legends.

WHAT A GREAT TIME!

The place is literally a legend, having had its share of them play on its stage. Eric Clapton, Willie Dixon, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and recently John Mayer, just to name a few. Anyway, on this random visit we saw John Primer who I met personally and who was generous enough to gift me a free cd (that I love!). He was a fabulous and entertaining talent. In talking to him I learned that he'd played with a number of greats including John Prine, my all time favorite folk singer (Dad used to do covers). In fact, John Primer played with my favorite blues artist too - Muddy Waters. Here's John doing "Hoochie Coochie Man" which was written by Willie Dixon and first performed by Muddy.

If you get a chance to check out Buddy Guy's while in Chicago, I personally think it beats the BIG mainstream House, hands down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why's it gotta be Chinatown?

Jess said...

I wanted to see where people go when they go down.